- Caretakers: Eco Life Style, Gardening, Volunteer Centre, Hospitality Management
Supervisor Volunteers Centre
Vicky’s Keys is looking for two new Volunteering colleagues for coming season 2021. Vicky’s Keys is located in The Keys a little village in the area called Sucker Garden. Located right across the salt pond we are just a 2 mile distance from Philipsburg, Dutch side Capital.
What is Vicky’s Keys?
Vicky’s Keys is a Hostel and a Volunteer Centre.
A hostel is a budget-oriented dormitory accommodation that accepts individual travellers (typically backpackers) for short-term stays, and that provides common areas and communal facilities. This means the majority of our guests shares the sleeping area, bathroom and kitchen. Except guests who sleep in the private dorm rooms and or studios, they wouldn’t have to share everything with other guests. With 10 single beds and 2 queen size beds (private room and studios) a maximum of 14 persons per night can stay at our hostel.
A Volunteers Centre is a place where volunteers work and or live together as a community. The Volunteers Centre – a.k.a. VC – operates under the premise that all income generated via several initiatives and its members goes into a common pool. This income is used to run all initiatives, make investments, and guarantee mutual and reciprocal aid and responsibility between members. VC members receive the same budget regardless of their job or position. In terms of education, all volunteers start equally and are given equal opportunity. The VC is governed by a system of direct participatory democracy, where the individual can directly influence issues and events in the community. In this mostly self sufficient community, the collective as well as the work ethic plays a major role. With 6 single beds and 1 queen size bed (private room) currently 8 volunteers per month can stay at Vicky’s Keys. In future more space will be made available for recruited volunteers.
Are you our new colleague?
If you have a background in facility management, hostel operations and are willing to get involved in all aspects of running Vicky’s Keys then do get in touch. You need to be smart, fun, love to landscape and garden, eager to learn more about Vicky’s Keys applied Eco Lifestyle, love to BBQ, love music and create a great experience for our guests and volunteers.
What are the tasks?
Task hours varies per day and depends on the guest occupancy. You will cover all duties, which are:
- landscaping and gardening – maintaining our Permacultured gardens and Aquaponics system (fishes).
- taking care of our fishes and turtle.
- recruitment, supervision and guidance of volunteers for the Eco- projects who will work at the development of the Community Garden Project and The Keys Market Project.
- managing and buying stock.
- managing day to day maintenance and contacting specialists for maintenance when you need to.
- website / social media updates.
- cleaning, laundry management.
- bookings management, check-in and check-out of guests.
- preparing breakfast for guests.
- cooking / bartending (e.g. happy hour, bbq, pick-nick events)
- ensuring when guest and volunteers post their feedback they mention that both Vicky’s Keys and you are awesome!
- Starting 2021.
- This opportunity would better suit someone looking for a longer term stay in one location at least 8 months.
- Preferably American/ Canadian or an EU passport holder.
- You speak English fluently and your writing skills are up to par.
- If you speak other languages then that’s a plus.
- A drivers license is a must.
- Gardening skills is a must!
- Being able to clean/sell fish
- Age bracket between: 28 – 49
Mind you staying at Vicky’s Keys is a life style!
If you are applying from abroad St. Maarten then you will live on location, supervise recruited volunteers and take care of guests when booked. You will care for the property (technical duties) and help make the Volunteers Centre & Hostel a success from A-Z. With all of this we also hope you will have lots of fun and enjoy living in paradise called St. Maarten/ St. Martin.
Besides the above mentioned we aim to develop alternative means of income for the hostel such as beach pick-nicks, boating, pub/cafe crawls, bike rentals, drink/food selling, any funky ideas you have that are doable and can be enjoyed by you as well are welcome.
What you get in return?
- If you are applying from abroad: A place called home on St. Maarten for the busy season.
- More hospitality management experience.
- Meeting lots of people from all walks of life.
- A private room in our Staff Apartment.
- Food (breakfast, lunch, dinner) & (non-alcoholic) Beverages
- Company Transportation.
- Company Phone.
- Company Clothing.
- Pocket money – a percentage of the monthly nett Turn Over. Pocket money is reserved every month for each volunteer. The amount is based on the monthly nett turnover from the work branch the volunteer is assigned to.
For your own account
- International covered insurance.
- Travel costs to and from St. Maarten DWI.
Note: This position is best for couples without (young) children (e.g. preschool up to secondary education) and without pets. Dogs and Cats are not allowed.
We offer the opportunity to add your input to this little space in paradise allowing others to work and sleep there and having the best time in life!
You think you can add to our concept? Then send in your application and resume.